The organ bench seemed like a good starting point to revisit my very limited woodworking skills! I decided to build a fixed height bench, as I already new the height of the keys on the pedalboard, and my daughter's preferred playing height.
This greatly simplified the design, which is outlined below...
The cut list for the bench was as follows...
|Item||No.||Finished Size||Stock||Nom. Length|
The timber for the bench (Redwood softwood, planned all round) cost £43 (timber is expensive in the UK!) It would have been nice to use a hardwood like oak or ash, but the timber would have been nearly three times more expensive, and much harder to work.
The Kreg jointing system was used for all of the joints (including joining the four planks that made the seat).
A number of options were investigated for the finish, in the end we settled on the following finishing process.
- Sanding (using a 'Mouse' sander), progressing through the following grades 40 grit, 80 grit, 120 grit and then 180 grit.
- Staining (applied with rag and brush), one coat of Liberon Spirit Wood Dye (Dark Oak)
- Two coats of wax